Friday, February 19, 2010

Divided heart

I've always seen my job as my mission field.


When Mike and I first responded to God's call to serve as full-time missionaries, my heart was torn. I spend 9 hours a day on my mission field plus an additional 1-2 hours each night planning and praying for my mission field - my class, co-workers, boss... Now God is giving me a new field.

This past November, we were accepted by MTW as short-term missionaries. The tear in my heart grew. Now I began to realize the reality that I would not be returning to my classroom next year. I'm going to have to let it go.

Christmas flew past. January - where did it go? Mid-February.

Last weekend, I began organizing our "stuff" into 3 piles: To Honduras, Store, and Get rid of. Clothing - no problem. Personal effect - sure thing! Then came the school supplies. Dead end. These supplies have been my mission field resources the last 5 years!!

We now have a hallway and extra bedroom stuffed with random educational supplies. Do I part with them? Do I keep them? Do I take them? I can feel God shifting my ministry focus from teaching to the people of Honduras.

I love my job. I love my students. God is sending us. I LONG to go. My new mission field approaches but I know that teaching (and Freedom) will always have a place in my divided heart.

-Ash

3 comments:

  1. We understand and will pray for you. You are taking a huge step in faith. We thank God for you and your willingness to follow our Savior! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley - Thanks for sharing your Spiritual journey with us! God's Will far outweighs our plans, our comfort, our fears. He IS all knowing. Follow Him! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How will you guys be getting your stuff down there?

    ReplyDelete