Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Loneliest Road in America

Last week I helped my college roommate move from Philly to San Diego.  In other words, I kept him company (and drove A LOT) for the cross-country road trip.  We had an awesome time.  We saw lots of stuff and here are some thoughts on some things I saw/experienced:

   1. Philly and San Diego are far apart.
   2. Detroit is underrated.
   3. Portable DVD players are great.
   4. So are easy point & click digital cameras.
   5. 10 days are too many to be away from my beautiful wife.
   6. I get goose bumps when the Penn State football team runs onto the field.
   7. I wish I saw my family more.  (especially the nieces and nephew)
   8. Iowa and Nebraska are very wide states - seriously, look at a map.
   9. Great Basin National Park is really cool.
   10. A windshield takes a lots of lives. (we hit a lof of bugs driving 3000+ miles)
   11. Colorado is a beautiful state. (not so much the eastern part that looks just like Iowa & Nebraska)
   12. Hiking in the Desolation Wilderness is awesome. 
  
Those are just some off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts.  What I really want to share is that we are made to be in community. 

Might be an odd thing to say after a road trip, but it is one major thing I am taking away from my last 2 weeks.  God is 3 persons and we are made in His image.  I think that shows clearly that we are made to be with others.  I found out I like to be with others while driving on US 50. 


 As you can see from the sign, US 50 has the name of the loneliest road in America.  Well, it lived up to its name.  It could be partially that we had been driving for 4 or 5 days, or that we were about to get to Lake Tahoe, whatever it was - the drive along this road was not fun.  We were on 50 for about 600 miles I think.  Some of it wasn't too bad.  Well - the part in Utah wasn't too bad anyway.  In Nevada, it was LONELY.  Over a 300 mile stretch, we drove through one town.  I use the word town, because I have a small vocabulary.  This "town" was tiny.  We passed a car every once in a while.

Anyway, all that to say I do not like being alone too much.  Like most people, I need some good alone-time, however I much prefer to be with people.  I was VERY glad I was not making that drive myself.  It was good I had my old roommate (and Arrested Development) to keep me company. 

1 comment:

  1. Last Wednesday I drove from Ocean City, NJ, back to Chattanooga, TN--not anywhere near as long or lonely as your route, but I was driving alone. When I missed a turn and a 13 hour drive became about 15 I found myself really wishing I had a friend or two with me in the car.

    ReplyDelete