Saturday, April 7, 2012

Homesick

You can probably guess how I am feeling based on the title of this post. I think homesickness is a funny thing. Some days I really do miss people, things, places, and the feelings of where we used to live. Then there are other days that, because we do feel so at home here in Honduras, I hardly think about those things or realize that they are not here with me.

So, I am not sure why I am feeling, today, the way I am but here are some thoughts:

It is a holiday week. Family always seems to feel further away in those times when we 'should' be together.
It has been a slow week and a half of ministry. We went to Guatemala last weekend, which was a great trip, but we did not do a whole lot. Then, when we got back we were smack dab into the middle of Semana Santa (Holy Week) which is a huge deal here. Government stuff is shut down and for many others it is vacation time. Most all of those Hondurans who are taking off come to La Ceiba to go to the beach and party. So, we have not been to busy with ministry due to the other things going on around us.
Satan wants to take my thoughts off of the great blessings I have (life and a right relationship with God because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for one) and put them onto the things that I do not have (family close-by for one).
I have been planning our trip to the USA in June. In planning our trip, I am realizing that we will get to spend a lot of time with family, most of whom we have not seen in almost a year and a half. Today I am just thinking about the fact that it is almost three months until we get to make the trip.

Whatever the reason is, I know that I have SO much to be content with and to celebrate, especially this weekend. I know these feelings will come and go, but the love of Christ does not!

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

No comments:

Post a Comment