Thursday, March 10, 2011

Basketball

Every Monday and Thursday evening I play basketball with other missionary guys at our language school. Usually there are somewhere between 8 and 14 guys who show up to play. We play for two hours each night.

I go to play for two reasons. First, I love the exercise. I do not enjoy just running, but for some reason running while playing basketball is much more fun for me. In addition to being a great workout, it is a time to build friendships with other guys who are going through much of the same things as I am.

Learning Spanish (or any language) is tiring. It is not easy to go to classes and live amongst another language all the time. Don't get me wrong, I am loving it, but it is hard work. So, playing basketball with other 'gringos' is time where we can turn on minds 'off' of Spanish and put our bodies to work. All of us are studying Spanish, living in a new place, missing family and friends, and some are married and have kids as well. Playing basketball is a way to rest (from all those other things) and burn some calories as well.

In between games we take a few minutes rest and can catch up on how others are doing, talk with someone we don't know well, find out someone else's plan for after language school, and of course get a little water in preparation for the next game. Also, every week we start by asking for prayer requests and praying for each other. I am so thankful for the group of guys the Lord has put here together in this time.

It's Thursday so I get to go play some ball tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment