Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mid Terms

We are now at the halfway point of our second trimester, which also means we are at the halfway point of our time of language study here in Costa Rica. This year is flying by. It does not seem like we have lived here, in a foreign country, for 6 months... but we have.

This week is Spiritual Emphasis week at our language school. This means NO HOMEWORK! Oh, an also that we have a chapel time twice each. So far, the chapel times have been great! A group from the Atlanta area, Proskuneo, who specialize in multicultural worship, have come to lead our week.  

Each morning we have a short worship service that is conducted in both English and Spanish since the faculty of the school is invited, and for most of them Spanish is their first language. The songs we sing are in both English and Spanish and sometimes we sing in both languages at the same time. It has been a neat experience so far and, to me, shows the power of God that He can understand so many languages and hear them all at the same time!

On Monday, we also had our mid-trimester progress reports. Each teacher talks with each student 1 on 1 and lets them know how they are progressing and in what areas they need the most work. It was really encouraging for me to hear that both my teachers feel I am learning a lot and moving forward really well. My biggest need is to be able to get more fluid in my speech. I still have days that I feel somewhat lost in Spanish, but for the most part I am getting more and more comfortable in the language! I am so thankful to God for opening my ears and my tongue to these new sounds and words and to all of you for your prayers!

In 10 days we leave for a week-long trip to Honduras to work with a team from our home church!

No comments:

Post a Comment